A Guide To Proper Rodent Control In Columbia
February 20, 2023
Rodents can invade your South Carolina home all year long. These small animals can sneak into your home and cause a lot of trouble for you and your family. If you are seeing rodents around your home, you will need the help of a Columbia pest control specialist to safely get rid of them. At Go-Forth Pest Control, we know what needs to be done to get rid of the rodents in your home for good.
Types Of Rodents That Often Invade Columbia Homes
Mice and rats are the most common types of rodents that invade Columbia homes. Two types of rats are often found in this area. While they are both destructive, they have a few unique features that help to make it easier to set them apart from the other species. Here is a look at the rodents that you are most likely to find in your home:
- Norway rats: This type of rat has a long body that is about eight to nine inches long and covered in light brown and gray fur. Their tails are hairless and are usually as long as their bodies. The Norway rat is one of the most common types of rats that are found in cities. They are commonly referred to as the "street rat" or the "sewer rat."
- Roof rats: The roof rat is slightly smaller than the Norway rat. Usually, a roof rat is about 16 inches long from the tip of its nose to the end of their tails. Most Norway rats have dark brown or black fur on their back and gray fur on their underside. These invasive rodents get their name from their impressive climbing abilities that allow them to travel across the rooftops of homes.
- House mouse: The house mouse is one of the most common types of rodents that you will find in your home. They are much smaller than rats and usually measure anywhere from two and a half to three inches long. The house mouse has brown fur, a pointed nose, and large ears.
All of the rodents on the list are extremely destructive. They can cause a lot of damage in a short amount of time.
All The Problems Rodents Around Your Property Can Cause
Rodents are filthy and destructive creatures that will chew on anything that they can get their paws on. If you have a rodent problem, you may notice homes in your cabinets, walls, and other surfaces. They have been known to chew on the electrical cords that connect your TV, radio, and other devices to the electricity. They can also get into your walls and chew on the electrical wiring, which could be a potential fire hazard.
Mice and rats are both known to carry and spread diseases to humans and pets. Some of the illnesses that you could get from having rodents in your home could include:
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis virus (LCMV)
- Rat bite fever
You don't have to touch the rodent to catch diseases or viruses. These dangerous diseases are commonly spread through the urine and rodent droppings that are left around the home.
Tips To Keep Rodents Away From Your Home
It is much easier to prevent rodents from getting in your home than it is to deal with a rodent infestation. To deter these destructive animals from coming into your home, try these tips:
- Keep all food stored in a metal or glass container that has a sealable lid.
- Don't leave pet food or water out all night long.
- Keep the grass in your yard cut short. Also, clear out any limbs or other debris lying around your yard.
- Seal up any cracks or gaps that may be around your doors, window, or other areas around your home.
- Fix leaky pipes or faucets as soon as possible and eliminate any standing water.
Rodents will be more attracted to your home if they think that there are plenty of hiding spaces available. This is why it is best to keep the outside and the inside of your house free of clutter.
How To Safely Get Rid Of Rodents In Columbia And Keep Them Away
If you see any rodents on your Columbia property, give us a call as soon as possible. At Go-Forth Pest Control, we know how to get rid of all of the rodents in your home for good.