A Handy Wasp Prevention Guide For Fredericksburg, VA Homeowners
May 3, 2022
Wasp stings are very unpleasant. If you’ve ever been stung by one of these pests, you know just how painful the experience is, and you likely don’t ever want to be stung again. Unfortunately, various wasp species are common in the area, and while not all stings are dangerous, these pests pose some health risks.
If you’re looking to keep wasps away from your property, the best way is through Fredericksburg pest control services. Please keep reading to learn more about wasps in Fredericksburg and how to keep them away from your yard.
Common Types Of Wasps In Fredericksburg
The first step in wasp control is knowing what wasps look like and identifying some of the common species. While there are a handful of wasps in Fredericksburg, the most common ones that you will find around your property are yellow jackets, paper wasps, bald-faced hornets, and mud daubers. Here is how you can identify each:
- Yellow jackets have black and yellow stripes, but they have a sleek, slim appearance, unlike bees.
- Paper wasps is a term that refers to a variety of specific species that build their nests out of a papery material. Most paper wasps have red or orange coloration with various markings.
- Bald-faced hornets are mostly black but have white markings on their faces.
- Mud daubers are a dark brown to black color. They have extremely long, thin bodies and a string-like “waist.”
If you think you’ve seen any of these species or their nests, it’s best not to try to remove them on your own.
Why Wasps Around The Home Can Be Dangerous
Wasp stings hurt, and most of the time, you’ll only have some swelling and pain for a short time. Usually, the effects will wear off naturally; however, some people are pretty allergic to wasp venom.
It’s always a good idea to practice caution as you don't always know how your body will react to a sting. The other issue is that many wasp species will attack in groups and repeatedly sting. So, even if you may not be particularly allergic, you could still end up with severe side effects.
When wasps feel that their nest is threatened, they are most likely to attack. The best way to remove a nest is by contacting wasp control experts such as our team at Go-Forth Pest Control.
Five Environmentally-Friendly Wasp Prevention Tips
If you haven’t noticed wasps around your property, now is the ideal time to implement prevention measures. Some of the best ways to get rid of wasps in Fredericksburg involve reducing the factors that attract them. Here is what you can do:
- Get rid of standing water and make sure rainwater can drain.
- Store pet food inside and remove bird feeders.
- Limit the number of flowering plants around the yard.
- Keep hot tubs and pools cleaned and use cycled water.
- Put lids on trash cans.
- Trim trees and shrubs often.
Contact our home pest control professionals at Go-Forth Pest Control for more helpful wasp prevention tips.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Wasps And Keep Them Away
Once wasps have invaded your property, please don’t put yourself at risk attempting to eliminate them. Luckily, our team of technicians can remove wasp nests safely and effectively and then provide year-round wasp pest control services. Find out more about removing wasps from your yard by requesting a quote from Go-Forth Pest Control today.