Five Simple Ways To Keep Ants Off Of Your Greensboro Property
July 7, 2021
If you’re a Greensboro home or property owner, the chances that you’ll deal with ants at some point are really quite high. Ants are one of the most common home-invading pests in the area and throughout the country, and they can cause some major problems.
There are around 10,000 different ant species found throughout the world. Luckily, there are only a handful of species that are likely to infest your Greensboro property. While most are relatively harmless, there are some more dangerous ants in the area, and even the nuisance species can be very difficult to deal with because they're so invasive.
The most prevalent ants around here include little black ants, cornfield ants, larger yellow ants, and fire ants. Here is a brief overview of each species:
- Little black ants are around 1/10th of an inch long and black. They are usually found outside but may come indoors looking for food.
- Cornfield ants are around ¼ of an inch long and a light to dark brown color. When crushed, they release an acidic odor.
- Larger yellow ants are best identified by the lemon scent they give off when crushed. They are yellow-orange colors.
- Fire ants can sting and inject venom and can be dangerous because of this. They are reddish-brown to reddish-orange.
What Attracts Ants?
Ants can be a difficult pest to prevent because they're so tiny. Because of their size, they are able to get inside in a number of ways. They can slip in through small cracks in screens or through doors and windows that aren’t sealed. They can also find their way through small holes and cracks in the walls and foundation. And, because they are so small, it can be nearly impossible to seal up all of these access points.
While ants are common, certain things can make your property more appealing to them. Ants mainly look for areas that have access to food and water sources. They aren’t that picky about the things they will eat either and will consume anything from sweets to cereals to protein to pet food.
Four Ant Prevention Tips
While it is a difficult thing to prevent ants completely, there are some steps worth taking around your property to deter them. Mainly, you should focus on removing or reducing the factors that bring ants around in the first place, such as:
- Focus on good sanitation by taking out the trash often, covering garbage cans with a lid, and cleaning up organic debris like grass clippings and leaf piles from your yard.
- Keep your home cleaned with a focus on kitchen areas. This includes doing dirty dishes, sweeping and mopping, and cleaning up food and drink spills right away. Also, store pet food indoors.
- Do what you can to seal up entry points by using caulk and foam to fill holes in the wall and repairing broken screens.
- As humidity can also attract ants, fix leaky plumbing and use dehumidifiers where needed.
The Fifth And Best Ant Control Tip
While you can help deter ants by taking preventive measures on your own, the most effective and useful ant control method is professional assistance from Go-Forth Pest Control. Because ants are such an invasive species, it can be difficult to eradicate them using DIY methods.
Instead, let our expert team handle these tiny but frustrating pests. We provide both residential and commercial pest control plans and will work with you to meet your pest control needs. Just contact us today to request a free quote.