How Damaging Can An Untreated Termite Infestation Be In Charlotte
January 11, 2023
The sinking frustration of finding termite damage or an active termite infestation in one's house is among the worst emotions a Charlotte homeowner can experience. Termites in Charlotte may cause a lot of damage if they are left untreated.
It doesn't take termites very long to eat through a sizeable portion of the wood. Termites will chew holes into the wood in your home, which will eventually cause damage. This can take place in the home's ceiling, as well as in the space beneath laminate flooring and in the walls. Contact Go-Gorth Pest Control for pest control in Charlotte at the first sign of termites.
Clear Signs Of A Termite Infestation In Your Home
As a homeowner, you should make it a habit to look out for certain signs of termites inside your house. The following is a list of warning signals that could indicate that you have a termite problem:
- Swarmers are young flying termites. After the last freeze, termite swarmers leave their nest to mate and find a new home.
- Subterranean termites, the most destructive, create mud tubes for moisture while traveling between their colony and food source. Mud tubes are usually near the house's foundation.
- Because termites typically consume wood from the inside out, wood that sounds hollow when tapped frequently indicates that it has been infested with termites.
- Uneven paint or bubbling is frequently a symptom of moisture buildup, which either water damage or termites may cause.
- Drywood termites devour wood and leave wood-colored droppings. A little mound of pellets inside or outside the home may indicate a dry wood termite infestation.
Infestations of termites can jeopardize the structural integrity of a home and inflict damage worth thousands of dollars without the knowledge of the home occupants. To protect your home from infestation by termites, it is essential to have a registered pest control expert do a termite inspection on the property at least once every 1 to 3 years.
What Kind Of Damage Can Termites Cause?
The presence of termites in your home might put you in a range of dangerous situations. When a termite infestation starts, you could notice that your property is experiencing various minor issues. Some instances of the relatively little harm that termites are capable of causing include the bending or blistering of wood.
However, if they are not controlled, termites are capable of causing significant structural damage. Termites typically consume wood from the inside out, and in the process of doing so, they leave behind large holes that go through various portions of your foundation. The structural soundness of your home will deteriorate according to the amount of hollow timber in and around it.
Some kinds of termites leave behind tunnel systems resembling labyrinths inside wooden structures. These are just as fragile, so use caution when handling them. Getting rid of the termite colony as soon as possible is necessary if you want to keep your house in good condition and prevent paying for expensive repairs.
Effective Termite Prevention Tips For Charlotte Properties
Termites, regardless of the species, are extremely destructive and, if left to their ways, can result in a significant financial loss due to the need for unforeseen home repairs. To stop termites from wreaking havoc in your house, here are some preventative measures you can take:
- Seal utility and pipe entry points and exterior cracks and holes.
- Dry and ventilate basements, attics, and crawl spaces.
- Fix outdoor faucets, pipelines, and AC units.
- Replace rotting roof shingles and fascia.
- Repair weather stripping and loose mortar around the basement foundation and windows.
- Keep firewood 20 feet from the house and 5 inches above the ground.
- Check your home's foundation for mud tubes, cracked or bubbling paint, and hollow timber.
- Downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks should drain water from your home.
- Keep mulch 15 inches from the foundation.
- Check wood windows, doorframes, and skirting boards for alterations.
If you think you may have a problem with termites, you should get in touch with a Charlotte termite control expert as soon as possible. They will be able to verify your suspicions and advise you on the most effective next steps.
Professional Termite Control Made Easy For Charlotte Homes
The damage caused by termites can grow substantially over time, resulting in significant issues for your home and a significant increase in the amount of money you will need to spend on repairs. Since its founding in 1959, Go-Forth Pest Control has assisted hundreds of clients in termite removal from their homes.
We place the same importance on preventing pests from entering your house as we do on removing them. Go-Forth Pest Control is ready to assist you whether your house currently has an active termite infestation or you wish to safeguard it from termites if they decide to invade.