Silverfish 101: How To Manage The Pest In Richmond
February 28, 2023
Silverfish are starting to become more common in Richmond. These small pests can be quite a nuisance to have around your home. If you are struggling with a silverfish problem in your house, Go-Forth Pest Control is here to help. We provide comprehensive pest control in Richmond. Here is a look at everything that you need to know about silverfish control.
How To Identify A Silverfish
Silverfish have long and thin bodies that are about an inch long and shaped like a teardrop. They have six legs, two antennae, and three spiky appendages that stick out from the tail end of their bodies. The silverfish gets its name from the silver metallic scales that cover its body.
Silverfish do their best to stay away from people and other animals. If you are unable to spot a silverfish in your house, there are still a few ways that you can determine if you have silverfish in your home. Some of the signs to look for include:
- Skin casings: Silverfish will molt several times before they reach full maturity. If you notice these thin, translucent skin casings lying around your home, you have a silverfish infestation.
- Yellow stains: When silverfish molt, they will discard this yellow powder. If you see light yellow smear marks around your home, you should inspect for silverfish.
- Droppings: Silverfish droppings are extremely small, round balls that are usually dark brown or black. Many people think that a silverfish dropping resembles a peppercorn.
If you have silverfish in your home, you also may notice holes in your clothing, books, and wallpaper.
The Damage Silverfish Can Do In Your Home
Silverfish like to eat starchy foods that are high in protein and carbohydrates. When it comes to eating, they are not too picky and will snack on various objects n your home. Some of the things that silverfish like to eat include:
Silverfish can cause damage to your home and your personal property. They also have a long life span. On average, a silverfish can live about eight years. This means that if you ignore the fact that you have a silverfish problem, you could have these pesky bugs in your home indefinitely.
How And Why Silverfish Find Their Way Into Your Home
Silverfish love moist and humid areas. Many times, when a silverfish comes into your home, it is because it senses the moisture in your home. Other Times, silverfish will come inside in search of food. Some of the places that people commonly find silverish are the bathroom, basement, attic, and other damp areas.
If you want to prevent silverfish from coming into your home, you can:
- Use a dehumidifier in your home
- Get rid of objects that have any type of adhesive on them
- Keep your try food in an airtight container
- Remove clutter from your home, yard, and garage
Another thing that you can do to prevent silverfish from coming inside is to check the perimeter of your home to make sure that there are no gaps or cracks anywhere in your home. If you do see any potential entry points, you should use caulking or some other type of durable material to seal up the holes.
Consult The Professionals For Total Silverfish Control
It can be extremely difficult to get rid of silverfish on your own. If you see any signs of silverfish in your Richmond home, call us today. At Go-Forth Pest Control, we use state-of-the-art equipment and the latest techniques to ensure that we can completely eliminate every silverfish in and around your home.