When bed bugs get into Columbia homes, why is local pest control for bed bugs the right answer? Why are these pests so difficult to control? We're going to tackle this topic head-on today. Join us as we take a brief look at the history of bed bugs, why we are having a resurgence, how bed bugs can impact your life, and what works best to get rid of bed bugs. If you've been struggling with bed bugs and you want fast answers to your bed bug questions, you can speak with one of our professionals; jump to our contact page or give us a call for assistance. Go-Forth Pest Control offers industry-leading pest control in Columbia. We can stop these pests in their tracks; you don't have to let the bed bugs bite! With that said, let's dig into our subject for today. Here are a few things every Columbia resident should know about bed bug infestations.
A Brief History Of The Bed Bug Resurgence
What are bed bugs and where did they come from? Before the turn of the century, few people in the United States had even heard of a bed bug infestation here. So, why are they such a problem now? To understand the problem and get to the answers, we need to give you a brief history of bed bugs and the surprising resurgence in 2001.
You may not know this, but bed bugs have been with us since the beginning. Fossilized bed bugs have been found dating back before written history. These insects have always plagued people. They were even a plague here in the United States when it was founded. Our founding fathers dealt with bed bugs. But, something happened in the middle of the 1900s that caused bed bugs to go away for a while. It was a product called DDT. Though still used today in some countries as a control measure to prevent mosquitoes and malaria, it is no longer widely used in the U.S. due to concerns about the medical implications. But DDT did something in the 1950s that lasted long past its discontinuation in the 1970s, it made people unpalatable to bed bugs.
After the turn of the century, and with the birth of a few generations, bed bugs have now returned to America. We are no longer unappetizing to them. They can freely feed on us with little or no consequence.
While the discontinuation of DDT is likely the catalyst for a resurgence of bed bug activity in the U.S., it is far from the only reason we are seeing a bed bug explosion. World travel has increased, and people travel easily from one part of the world to another. In areas of the world where pest control is limited, these insects can thrive. Travelers pick them up and bring them home. Once bed bugs get to the shores of America, they continue to have success spreading because most people don't know much about them or understand how they spread.
There you have it. Bed bugs have returned, infestations are on the rise, and the best way to protect yourself is to learn what you can about these pests. Bed bugs are hitchhikers. They climb onto your stuff while you're away from home and hitch a ride back with you. If you take steps to prevent this, you can stop an infestation before it starts; this is the best way to deal with bed bugs. Let's look at what bed bugs do once they get into your home and why bed bug control is challenging.
All The Ways A Bed Bug Infestation Can Be Problematic
We don't have to tell you that bed bugs bite. You know this. It is the primary problem people have when bed bugs infest their homes. But there is more that you should know. Bed bugs don't just bite; they bite a lot! That is where the problems begin.
- Each bed bug will attempt to take three meals. They feed each time for less than ten minutes and move across the skin as they feed. If five bed bugs bite you while you sleep, you'll likely wake up with fifteen bites. Do you see the problem?
- When you wake up with fifteen bites on your skin, how will you respond? If you are like most people, you'll start looking for a way to deal with the bugs expeditiously. Unfortunately, many of the methods used to control bed bugs are more harmful than the bed bugs themselves.
- As you work to get rid of bed bugs, you'll likely realize your efforts are failing as you start to see thirty or more bites on your skin instead of the fifteen you were getting. While there are no real-world cases of disease transmission from bed bugs to humans, ongoing bites can lead to anemia.
- It isn't fun to have insects biting you while you sleep, nor is it pleasant to wake up with multiple wounds on your skin. Ongoing bite events can lead to sleepless nights and sleep deprivation, which can cause problems. It is not safe to operate a vehicle or machinery if you are sleep deprived. A loss of sleep can also lead to depression.
- The worst problem associated with bed bugs isn't the frustration and futility these insects can inspire. There is still a stigma attached to bed bug infestations. If a friend or family member finds out you have bed bugs, it can cause unwanted conflicts. If you have kids, they can become the source of bullying at school or experience rejection in their circle of friends. You can combat these issues by getting professional assistance and equipping yourself with information. There should never be any humiliation associated with bed bugs. These insects don't target dirty homes or dirty people, they spread passively from one location to another. Letting everyone know that you got a professional bed bug treatment will let friends and family members know that it is all-clear to come back over.
We hope these give you an understanding of how bed bugs create problems that you may not have considered. Now, let's turn our attention to bed bug pest control and how to get rid of bed bugs.
Why It's Impossible To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs On Your Own
There are many pests that can get into your Greensboro home, but no other is quite like the bed bug. At every stage, bed bugs will challenge your ability to deal with them, and at every stage, you need the knowledge required to outsmart these pests.
- They don't get into your home like many other pests do. You can't seal exterior entry points to keep them out. You have to understand how you got infested, so that you can take steps to prevent bed bugs from continuing to enter your home. They may have come home from work or school. They may have come from a library book. You may have picked them up while at the movies. Your next-door neighbor may have an infestation.
- If you go to the internet to find suggestions for getting rid of your infestation, you'll find many tips that don't work at all. These tips can lead you down a road of frustration. For example, bed bug traps can catch bed bugs but they do not address the source of a bed bug problem. You can catch bed bugs continually and never arrest an infestation.
- When you take measures to address your infestation, you'll need to know how to clean bed bugs up in the hiding places you find them. It isn't enough to just get the bugs. You have to find the eggs or you'll keep seeing bed bugs appear.
It is time-consuming and energy-draining to go after bed bugs over and over. That alone is a reason to have someone else do it for you, but there is another factor to consider. If you try to arrest an infestation for several months, you'll give bed bugs opportunities to leave your home and go to the homes of friends, family, coworkers, and other people you are in contact with routinely. If they get an infestation, they can return those bugs to you after you've had your home treated.
Call The Pros At The First Sign Of Bed Bugs In Your Home
Get bed bugs out quickly by getting bed bug pest control service for your home. Professionals used field-tested methods to locate and eliminate bed bugs, and then monitor to ensure no bugs remain. Your professional can also provide you with information you can give to others, regarding how bed bugs spread. When they realize these bugs don't choose where they live, they stop giving you that look as though your infestation is your fault. It is miserable enough to have bed bugs without people making you feel bad about it. If you need bed bug control in Columbia, and you want experienced and professional service, contact Go-Forth Pest Control. We understand these bugs, and we will help you get the control you need and the relief you deserve.