All The Ways We Should Keep Millipedes Away From Raleigh, NC Homes
May 17, 2022
If a pest has more legs, does that make it more dangerous? No, but it certainly adds to their spook factor. There is something about a creature having several pairs of legs that just makes it feel creepier. Today we will be talking about one multi-legged pest that regularly invades homes in Raleigh, the millipede. Here is everything you should know about these long multi-legged invaders and how to stop them from invading your living areas.
How To Identify Millipedes
A millipede is a long wormlike pest with lots of legs. Depending on the species, a millipede can have anywhere from 30 to 90+ pairs of legs. When it comes to millipede size, these pests can grow to be anywhere from 1/16 of an inch to over four inches long. As for color, some are black, others are brown, and a few have more vibrant colors like red or orange. When threatened, this pest curls up into a little ball, allowing its exterior shell to protect it from potential attacks.
Are Millipedes In Raleigh Venomous?
Millipedes are not venomous or poisonous. Some species, however, are capable of producing irritating fluids that cause allergic reactions for certain individuals. For this reason, we recommend not picking these pests up or at least not handling them without proper protective gear.
What Attracts Millipedes To Raleigh Homes?
Millipedes are drawn to cool moist environments. Around properties, these pests are found hiding under logs, inside mulch, and in other areas that provide maximum shade and moisture. If exterior conditions become too dry, hot, or otherwise unfavorable, a millipede may seek shelter indoors. They will use exterior gaps, cracks, and other openings to get inside. Once indoors, millipedes gravitate to secluded and humid rooms like basements and crawlspaces. During certain times of the year, millipedes invade more often, such as in the middle of summer and in the winter.
Some Exclusion Tips To Keep Millipedes Out
One method people use to deter millipedes is DIY pest prevention. If you have some time on your hands and access to a local hardware store, here are a few tips and tricks to use around your home.
- Use some liquid cement or silicone caulk to seal holes, cracks, and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation and spacing around window/door frames.
- Check the condition of your home’s window/door screens. Repair and replace any that are damaged or installed improperly.
- Address damage to your home’s siding.
- Protect your exterior doors with door sweeps.
- Repair damage to weatherstripping around your home.
- Keep unscreened windows and doors closed when they are not in use.
- Clear back bushes and branches to create a dry zone around your home’s exterior.
- Address leaky piping and fixtures.
- Make sure your gutters are flowing properly and properly channeling water away from your home’s exterior.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up in and around your home.
How To Get Rid Of Millipedes For Good
Most people do not have the time to control pests like millipedes on their own. Whether there are large millipedes or baby millipedes in your house, your best option to get them out fast is to hire the experts at Go-Forth Pest Control. We offer fast-working treatments to remove pests from interior spaces and long-term options to help you keep invasive creatures like millipedes outside where they belong. If you are unsure if your home has a pest problem or not, let one of our team members perform a detailed inspection. This will help them assess pest pressures on your property and suggest a good option to handle them fast.
Call today to find out more about pest control in Raleigh and schedule your home for a service visit.