Are The Wasps In Greensboro, NC Dangerous?
July 13, 2021
It’s hard to enjoy your Greensboro, NC yard when there are flying insects everywhere. Business owners will have to worry about partners or customers being too afraid to step on the property. These kinds of pests typically sting or bite, and people want to avoid them at all costs.
In a general sense, wasps are stinging insects. As you can imagine, this category is wide. Many are unique in their appearance, behavior, and hazards. Learn more about the potential threats local wasps carry, and how you can defeat them with Go-Forth Pest Control.
What Wasps Are Common in Greensboro? What Are the Risks?
European paper wasps and yellow jackets are rampant in the city. Yellow markings decorate the 1-inch brown bodies of European paper wasps. They also have black wings. Folks confuse them with bees because of their features, but their elongated frames are more narrow and lean. Since they desire to build their nests in sheltered spaces, you’ll probably see them swarming near structural crevices. These pests will also gather by door frames, window sills, and roof eaves. If there are any foundational cracks or open doors or windows, the wasps will come inside your dwelling. The moment you spot one, you’ll know you have an infestation.
How European paper wasps form their cocoons is what sets them apart from similar bugs. Using their saliva, they bond pieces of plant material together. It looks like wadded paper when it dries, hence their name. The interior pockets aren’t visible because of how chunky the matter is. Given the umbrella-esque shape of the nest, these critters are occasionally called “umbrella wasps.”
Yellow jackets are usually mistaken for bees as well. They have yellow and black shading, but they have less body hair and slighter waists. Also, some specimens in this species are white and black. These bugs have wings that go past their 0.39 to 0.62 of an inch long figures. Nectar, meat, sugary items, and other insects are what draw yellow jackets to homes and businesses. You’ll stumble across their cocoons at the ground level, by tree bases, sidewalks, patios, and voids. Aerial nests are a key sign of infestation.
Other important facts about wasps are:
- The environment depends on them: Their pollination and feeding rituals assist the ecosystem.
- Their stings can be complex: Itching, inflammation, pain, and warmth will follow a sting. Medical attention may be necessary, as bodily or allergic reactions can be severe. Wasps have the ability to hit you several times.
What Are Ways to Prevent Greensboro Wasps?
You’ll have to hone your cleaning practices, lawn management, and exterior care to keep wasps away. Performing the following tasks will ward off lots of fluttering pests:
- Mow the grass and trim the greenery regularly. Cover holes in the ground and get rid of organic debris.
- For gardens, use citronella, eucalyptus, and other repellent plants.
- Try not to over-seed or overwater plants, and set them two feet away from your property.
- Wash out your vents and gutters often.
- Put food and garbage in containers with tight lids.
- Ensure that roof eaves, porches, and decks remain neat. Never leave food on them.
- Seal openings in windows, doors, and foundations.
- Contact Go-Forth Pest Control if you have issues with critters wasps eat.
How Will Go-Forth Pest Control Handle Greensboro Wasps?
Even if you think a wasp nest is inactive, don’t touch it. One bug can suddenly dart at you. Spraying insecticides can motivate an attack. Also, retail products can be toxic. For safety, contact Go-Forth Pest Control. Our skilled technicians will eliminate wasps by applying potent treatments that will not harm people or pets. Call now for a free quote!