How To Stop Stink Bugs From Spending The Winter In Your Raleigh Home
November 15, 2021
Raleigh is home to many different species of pests. Some invade homes year-round, like mice, cockroaches, and ants. Other invasive creatures will only break into living areas during certain months of the year. Stink bugs are one of these pests. These smelly bugs look to homes to find shelter during the colder months of the year. If you are tired of finding stink bugs inside your Raleigh living areas every fall and winter, here are some tips and tricks to keep them outside this year.
Why Stink Bugs Invade
Stink bugs are not house pests, or at least they aren’t during the warmer parts of the year. Unlike other invasive creatures like cockroaches and rodents, stink bugs will not find a reliable source of food if they break into your home. These pests mainly live off of products such as apples, peaches, berries, beans, pecans, and peppers. This makes them serious agricultural pests for eight to ten months of the year here in Raleigh. It is only during the coldest months that stink bugs invade area homes while looking for places to overwinter. This starts with large numbers of these pests soaking up sunlight on exterior walls and turns into them actively searching for cracks, gaps, and other openings to find their way indoors.
Are Stink Bugs Dangerous?
Although smelly when crushed or disturbed, stink bugs are not a threat to human health. They do not eat trash like other invasive species and usually steer clear of areas where other insects pick up dangerous disease-causing organisms. Stink bugs do, however, bite if they feel trapped or threatened. Thankfully, they are non-venomous, meaning their bites hardly feel like more than a small pinch.
How Stink Bugs Get Indoors
As homes grow older, they spring leaks. General wear and tear lead to foundational cracks, damaged windows/doors, and other exterior problems that lead to entry points for pests. We recommend thoroughly inspecting your home’s exterior for any openings you think pests like stink bugs might use to get inside. Once you have done this, start to think about ways to address these entry points.
Eight Tips And Tricks To Prevent Stink Bugs
- Purchase a caulking gun and use it to fill in gaps, holes, and cracks around window/door frames and in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Inspect your home’s window/door screens and make sure they are installed properly and rip/tear-free.
- Install quality door sweeps under all exterior doors leading out of your home.
- Repair and replace weatherstripping that is damaged.
- Pick up fruits, berries, and other products that fall in your yard during the year.
- Turn off your exterior lights at night or invest in insect-resistant light bulbs.
- Address moisture issues in and around your home like leaky pipes, excess humidity, and damaged gutters.
- Check bags, boxes, and produce for stink bugs before bringing them into your home.
How Easy Stink Bug Control Is With Professional Help
There is only so much that DIY prevention can do to keep out stink bugs. If you are looking for a guaranteed option to keep these pests out of your home this fall and winter, or are trying to remove an active infestation, do not hesitate to involve the qualified technicians here at Go-Forth Pest Control. Our team uses advanced pest control technologies and industrial-grade treatments to protect area properties against invasive overwintering pests like stink bugs. All you need to do is let us know that you need help.
Call today to discuss your options and get a quote for your Raleigh home to have your pest problems solved.