Just How Dangerous Are German Cockroaches In Richmond?
November 30, 2021
It is not healthy to worry all the time about things that might go wrong. It is healthy, however, to understand the risks that pests pose and to put in place protective strategies to stay safe. One risk every resident in Richmond should know about is the risk of getting sick by German cockroaches. If you have never taken a moment to look into how dangerous these pests are, here are some things you should know and some strategies to prevent these invasive insects from invading your home.
How German Cockroaches Make People Sick
German cockroaches are interesting creatures in that they have great grooming habits but still regularly carry bacteria, pathogens, and parasitic worms. Most of these disease-causing organisms are carried inside of their bodies. When in and around homes, German cockroaches can spread diseases through their fecal dropping and by dragging filth across floors, counters, and other surfaces. Some of the most common sicknesses you might contract from these pests inside your home are campylobacteriosis, cholera, giardia, dysentery, gastroenteritis, leprosy, listeriosis, and salmonellosis.
Do German Cockroaches Cause Asthma Attacks?
German cockroaches shed about six times while developing from nymphs to adults and leave their shed skins all around areas they infest. These shed skins are dry and easily break up into small particular irritants. The same happens with roach excrement. Both of these things are a serious threat to anyone who has respiratory problems like asthma or allergies.
Some Ways German Cockroaches Invade Homes
The German cockroach is one of the smallest species of pest roach in North America. Their small size makes squeezing into buildings easy for these pests. Some of the most common ways roaches get into homes include crawling through gaps and cracks in foundational blocks and damaged siding, skittering through utility piping and ventilation shafts, and sneaking in through damaged screens and around unprotected doors and windows.
How To Prevent German Cockroaches From Invading Your Home
In order to keep German cockroaches out of your Richmond home, you have to eliminate entry points and address factors that attract them in the first place. To help you do this, here are some great prevention tips to use today.
- Thoroughly clean up your yard, removing things like leaf piles, toys, and other things that create clutter.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up around your yard and address areas where water regularly collects after rainfall.
- Inspect your home’s exterior foundation and use a caulking gun to fill in any damage you find.
- Install door sweeps under all of your exterior doors if they do not have them already.
- Make sure your window/door screens are not damaged and are installed properly.
- Wash off surfaces in your home and do your best to address food messes and drink spills as they occur.
- Store leftovers, pet food, and pantry items in sealable plastic, glass, or metal containers.
- Invest in trash cans that have tight-fitting, insect-proof lids.
- Avoid feeding your pets outdoors and clean out their bowls after every meal.
One Great Option To Control German Cockroaches
There is only one good way to handle a German cockroach infestation and that is to get a professional pest expert involved. At Go-Forth Pest Control, we do not just offer comprehensive elimination options for homeowners dealing with infestations. We also provide year-round control to make sure that invasive and dangerous pests like roaches stay outside where they belong.
Getting service for your Richmond home is as easy as giving our team a call today. We will talk you through your options, quote a price for your property, and schedule an appointment for your home.