Raleigh, NC Homeowner's Handy Guide To Termite Prevention
July 15, 2021
You may not see any pests around your Raleigh home, but a few could still be lurking. Several insects and creatures can violate your place and breed without being obvious. A damaged dwelling or personal item may be the only visible hint you have. Termites, for example, notoriously conceal themselves in the soil and behind foundations. Meanwhile, they will be eating away at the wood.
Each year, termites cost Americans a total of $5 billion. This amount goes toward deterrence and/or recovery. Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t have coverage for these kinds of disasters. Given this, it’s wise to learn what you can about successfully preventing these bugs. Further, find out how Go-Forth Pest Control can intervene.
How Do Termites Function? What Are the Dangers?
Workers, soldiers, and swarmers are the three sectors of a termite colony. Across the multiple subspecies, each group physically differs. However, workers in this area are usually white or grayish-white and 0.12 of an inch long. They are the primary ones attacking the wood. Soldiers are often yellow-brown and have rectangular heads with large mandibles. Swarmers are yellow, brown, or black. Wings outline their ½ of an inch long bodies. When a nest is fully occupied, they’ll fly away to start a new one. Given their attraction to light, you may catch them by fixtures and windows. A sighting indicates an infestation. Other clues are:
- Finding the scaly wings of swarmers
- Discovering heaps of fecal frass along the maze patterns, mud tubes, and holes created by termites
- Hollow sounding walls
- Hearing clicking and rustling from inside walls
- Having paint that is chipping and bubbling
- Observing that drywall is slumping and off-color
- Tiles falling apart
- Floorboards creaking and giving in
- Window frames and doors tightly fitting
As termites split up decaying wood, nourishing nutrients are released into the soil. Plants and trees need this resource to develop normally. Therefore, these pests help sustain the environment. Even though this is a positive aspect, many homeowners will suffer in the process. Your domicile may become hazardous to live in because the bases and walls could tumble. Any subsequent relocations or renovations are bound to be expensive. Medically, you might be injured from a structural collapse or have an allergic reaction to termites. The bugs aren’t known to distribute diseases.
What Can Be Done to Prevent Termites?
Termites procreate at a fast rate and in droves. Putting a consistent effort into maintaining preventative protocols is a must. You can begin with sharpening your exterior care procedures:
- Replace or get rid of wood that is decomposed or ruined.
- Have leaks and moisture complications repaired immediately; especially if it’s affecting wood.
- Patch up cracks in caulk, foundations, and utility lines.
- Make sure you add screens to all outer doors.
- Clean out your vents and gutters regularly.
- Distance woodpiles and plants from the property by two feet.
- Don’t allow loose wood, like fire logs, to touch the soil.
- Trim grass and greenery on a routine basis.
- Have annual inspections done by Go-Forth Pest Control.
How Will Go-Forth Pest Control Handle Termites?
No retail product is going to solve a termite infestation. At best, a few individual bugs will die. On top of that, these goods are generally too complicated to use and/or are highly toxic. You could accidentally misapply the item, which would exacerbate the issue. For safety and reliability, contact us at Go-Forth Pest Control. Our skilled technicians will employ the Sentricon® System with Always Active™ with bait stations. This industrial-grade treatment will eliminate termite colonies. Warranties and Wood-Destroying Insect Reports are available. Call today for a free quote!