The Key To Keeping Oriental Roaches Away From Your Raleigh, NC Home
April 15, 2022
If you live in Raleigh, you have most likely encountered cockroaches before. Not all cockroaches are the same, however, and if you are experiencing an oriental cockroach infestation, it is essential that you understand how to deal with them specifically. Today, we are going to discuss how to identify oriental cockroaches, why they are dangerous, and the best oriental cockroaches pest control methods. We will cover the benefits and drawbacks of both home remedies for cockroaches and professional-grade solutions.
What Do Oriental Cockroaches Look Like?
To start with, here are some cockroach facts to help you learn what oriental cockroaches in Raleigh look like:
- Oriental cockroaches are insects, which means they have 6 legs,
- They have wings but are flightless,
- Their body is oval-shaped, black, and shiny,
- They have two long antennae that come out of their heads.
- Adult oriental cockroaches are about an inch long.
- They like damp and dark places and are generally found in groups.
- They cannot climb vertical surfaces - if you see a cockroach climbing a tall, smooth surface, you might be dealing with a different kind of cockroach.
If you need help identifying the type of cockroach in your home, a professional pest control company can help.
Why Are Oriental Cockroaches Dangerous?
If you have them in your house, you will need to learn about the best way to kill oriental cockroaches because these pests are more than unsightly. They are dangerous. If you find a cockroach in your house, regardless of the type, you are at risk of contracting various viruses, bacteria, parasites, and infections, including dysentery and salmonella. They can also trigger allergic reactions such as asthma, which can be dangerous to children and people with upper respiratory diseases.
Why Is It So Hard To Get Rid Of Oriental Roaches In Homes?
Unfortunately, on top of being dangerous, it can be quite difficult to get rid of a cockroach infestation. Infestations of oriental cockroaches in Raleigh generally happen in the spring until the end of fall, when nymphs hatched the previous year are fully grown. As you can imagine, it takes more than one method to get rid of a pest that reproduces so prolifically. And since oriental cockroaches tend to hide in dark, damp spaces, they can be hard to find and eliminate.
That being said, if you find a cockroach in your house, you can exterminate it and its intrusion (what we call a group of cockroaches) with the proper methods. Our team at Go-Forth Pest control can diagnose your cockroach problem and provide a customized solution to rid this unwanted pest from your home.
The Secret To Effective Cockroach Control In Raleigh
If you see cockroaches in your Raleigh home, it's vital to be proactive. Before you begin implementing cockroach control solutions, find where the cockroaches might be coming inside the house. Seal those openings as much as you can. Keep all trash tightly closed, wipe down surfaces with disinfecting wipes or sprays, and vacuum your home regularly. Then, use as many of the following home remedies as possible.
- Sprinkle boric acid in areas where the oriental cockroaches may be hiding. It will stick to their body as they walk over it, poison them, and result in dehydration. Sprinkle it around your home as well. Boric acid is dangerous when ingested, so keep it away from people and pets.
- Do the same but with food-grade diatomaceous earth. It is less toxic than boric acid. Sprinkle it under appliances like ovens and fridges, where oriental cockroaches like to hide.
- Mix water and baking soda until the baking soda is fully dissolved, and leave the mixture in small caps on the floor. Oriental cockroaches need water to live, but baking soda is toxic to roaches and will kill them should they drink it.
Be mindful of home remedies. Though they can be effective and eliminate some cockroaches, they likely won't kill your entire population. If you have some cockroaches remaining in your home, the problem will persist as they breed prolifically. Furthermore, some DIY methods can be hazardous, so proceed with caution.
In the end, we recommend partnering with a pest control professional for the best way to kill oriental cockroaches. At Go-Forth Pest Control in Raleigh, NC, our pest control technicians are specifically trained to exterminate oriental cockroaches for good, and you can contact them at any time for recommendations for the most effective baits, traps, and sprays available. Reach out to us today to learn more about our cockroach control options and year-round pest control plans.