What Is Pest Control?
July 13, 2020
Pest control or pest management is a process wherein one eliminates or manages unwanted creatures like pests. Some of the vermin remove by pest control are rodents, cockroaches, termites, bed bugs, poisonous spiders, and many more. For so many years, the word pests make people worry so much. They know that when these creatures are present, it is normal to bring serious problems like health issues. Not only that, property damage as well since pests infest buildings or environments.
Pests are destructive insects or animals that affect human activities. They attack and damage crops, livestock, and your home. They even bring serious health issues, depending on the kind of species they are. This is the reason why people want to get rid of them as soon as they see pests within the household or business premises. There are different kinds of pests. So the methods to eliminate them depend on what kind of creature we are dealing with.
Pests You Often See at Home
Below is the list of some pests we see from our homes or business establishment. Also, know the damage or harm it causes to our health and properties. Take note, these are not all kinds of pests we need to be aware of.
But they are the most common kinds of creatures we normally encounter on a day to day basis:
Rodents - These are mammals of the order Rodentia. Everyone knows them for their teeth or incisors that continuously grow. Most rodents prefer to eat seeds, grains, and fruits, while some are omnivores who like to eat animal products too. These creatures can damage your furniture, car engines, walls, pipes, crops, and can even burn your house down! Rats and mice belong to this group and they chew electric wires which could cause a fire. Some of the diseases that we can get from rodents are Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, Leptospirosis, Plague, Salmonellosis, and Lassa Fever.
Cockroaches - These creatures are commonly present in our homes and building establishments. They love warm environments close to food and water. Cockroaches don’t cause property damage but could bring health issues to human beings. They can trigger asthma attacks, allergies, and spread about 33 kinds of bacteria.
Bed bugs - Bed bugs are parasites from the family of insects called Cimicidae. They are usually around in beds. But they easily spread or transfer and can be present also in couches, bags, clothes, and hotels. Bed bugs can bring allergic reactions and skin infections to humans.
Ants - Ants are social insects that live in large colonies and groups. Ants love sweets but they eat almost everything like meat, vegetables, oil, and fats. They are a carrier of different bacteria like Salmonella, Streptococcus, and shigella. They can transfer them to open wounds or food.
Termites - Termites are small insects that can chew floors and woods and wallpapers. They could bring serious respiratory illnesses, asthma, and other skin conditions.
Ticks & fleas - These are the most common parasites that attack our pets like cats and dogs. They are known to be the second vectors of human disease. These creatures can transmit diseases like plague, typhus, cat scratch fever, and flea-borne spotted fever through bites.
How To Get Rid Of Pests
Now that you know the most common types of pests that we normally see around us, you might want to get rid of them. There are many different ways to get rid of pests. However, it all depends on the kind of species you are dealing with. Pests can be in your household and you think there is only one or a couple, DIY methods might help. It can be effective as long as you follow the right steps.
So here are some of the DIY steps on how to get rid of pests. These ways will not only be good for your home but for your business establishment as well:
1. Setting baits and traps - most of these unwanted creatures are attracted to food. So if you are thinking of getting rid of pests like mice or rats, ants or cockroaches, the first thing to do is to set up baits and traps. These are found to be effective but you have to make sure to do your research first so you would know the right kind of baits and traps to use for that specific creature. Some examples of these traps are glue boards which could trap mice, roaches or other crawling insects, bucket traps for beetles, CO2 trap for bedbugs, illuminated pan trap for fleas and stink bugs, pheromone trap for pantry pests, clothes moths and some fruit-tree pests, flypaper or ribbons for flies, moths, and other small flying insects, and many more.
2. Chemicals & Insecticides - there are many of these that you can buy over the counter. Most of these insecticides come in a bottle spray that you can just easily spray on suspected areas where you think pests are found. Be very careful when using such and make sure to read the label as this contains detailed instructions and or information on how to use the product correctly and legally. It also contains potential hazards. Reading and following the label will help you maximize the effectiveness and reduce the risk associated with the product.
3. Using plants as repellents - some plants are used to keep bugs and insects away. They show the effectiveness and are known for their pest-repellent properties. Some of these plants are lavender, oregano, basil, citronella grass, eucalyptus, lemongrass, marigold, and many more. If you have a garden or if you have a good hand in planting, it’s best to have these plants in your home as it does not just bring positivity in your home but also serve as insect repellents.
Now that you are aware that there are methods against pests that you can do by yourself, you may try these and see if they will solve your pest issues. But, what if you are not sure of the number of pests in your home? Then it’s a different story. If there is already an infestation, these DIY methods may not help as we are now talking about a couple or more pests which can be challenging to manage. In situations like this, we recommend calling an exterminator for worry-free living.
What Are The Benefits Of Hiring A Pest Control Company?
Hiring professionals to take care of your pests issues is way better than getting rid of them yourself. These experts are called Pest Control Technicians. They are well-versed with different methods and they possess the right knowledge to completely eradicate these creatures in the most effective way.
1. Worry-free - Most people think that hiring a pest control company is expensive compared to doing DIY methods, but if you come to think of it, it is well worth it! Hiring a pest control company gives you this peace of mind knowing that your home or business establishment is free from these unwanted creatures. They don’t just get rid of these parasites but also eliminate the source to make sure that you are not going to continue to have this problem. They use nothing but safe and effective products which means that you’ll have a healthier home.
2. It saves you a lot of time - People nowadays have a very busy schedule. For someone who does not have the time to go through all the hassle of looking for the source and following the DIY methods, hiring exterminators will save you time, and as they will do all of the work for you. From looking for the source to eliminating these unwanted guests, just leave them all to the professionals!
3. Saves you money - Buying traps and insecticides can be costly especially if you were not able to purchase the right product. This means that if you happen to get an ineffective product or were not able to do it right the first time, you will end up buying more and more products until you find the right one.
For your pest control needs, look for a trusted local pest control company that can give you the result that you are expecting to get. Go for Go-Forth Pest Control.
Why Choose Go-Forth Pest Control?
Go-Forth Pest Control is a family-owned company that provides service solutions of modern pest control services and techniques. We use only the latest and most advanced technology in the business, making our service to you more efficient, safer, and more convenient. Our talented and friendly team of expert professionals can provide the best pest control services to residents and business establishments all throughout North and South Carolina.
We bring in a new and fresh approach to the pest control industry, using family-friendly and pet-friendly methods of extermination. Go-Forth Pest Control work with you and cater to your specific needs. We are experts in exterminating pests like cockroaches, wasps, weevils, mosquitoes, mice, flies, termites, ants, and spiders, so you can say goodbye to these pests in your home.
For reviews, you may check us on Facebook or Google us to see what our satisfied customers have to say about us.
Go-Forth Pest Control has earned the trust of residents and businesses in North Carolina for more than 61 years. For more information, or to set an appointment, just dial 336-841-6111. Our friendly operators are standing by.