Will Pest Control Kill My Plants? (Greenville Exterminators)
August 5, 2020
Some homeowners are very much into plants. We love plants because they not only beautify our homes and gardens but also satisfy us and boost our moods. We do not mind getting our hands dirty because we love taking care of our plants and see them grow healthy and glowing. They are natural stress relievers for most people. But, what if pests infest your place and you need to use pesticides? Or need to hire a pest control service to get rid of the issue?
We all worry when we hear about pests. These creatures are a nuisance and we never want them in our homes. Not a single of any of its kind because they are not just creepy and annoying, but also because they could damage our properties and put us and our family's health at risk. Pesticides that used to get rid of pests contain poisonous chemicals. Because of this fact, one must be very careful in using this so it would not kill non-target animals and plants.
There are bug sprays designed to be used in lawns, gardens, and landscapes. These products are safe for plants and proven effective if used accordingly. On the other hand, you can also try some natural ways to get rid of pests. Let's check these methods.
Natural Ways To Eliminate Garden Or Crop Pests
1. Water - One of the simplest but also an effective way to shoo away pests is to spray water on plants. This is just the same when it rains heavily.
2. Soapy water - A soapy water makes insects and pests go away. Just mix the water and soap, put it in a spray bottle then spray it on the plants. This solution can effectively dehydrate aphids and spider mites.
3. Garlic - Garlic works as a great and powerful natural insect repellent. You can use it to repel different kinds of crawling and flying insects. Use garlic water as a tonic. This will seep into the soil and disrupt harmful pests that might destroy your plant or the entire garden.
4. Alcohol spray - A solution made of water and alcohol also works as an insect repellent. Make your solution by mixing 1 to 2 cups of 70% isopropyl or rubbing alcohol per quart of water. 1 quart is equal to 4 cups. Put it in a spray bottle and use it in plants. Note though that alcohol can also be risky to plants so don’t spray too much.
5. Boric acid - Boric acid, as we all know, is very effective when it comes to eliminating pests. This makes an effective solution to water bug infestations. You may sprinkle a very thin layer of powder or insect spray in the infested area. This will attract insects and pests but will eventually kill them.
6. Nicotine - Nicotine sprays are a traditional remedy for different kinds of pests, including leaf aphids, thrips, whiteflies, gnats, root, and leafminers. To make a solution, use 1 cup of cigarette butts in 1-gallon warm water. Add 10 drops of mild liquid soap and transfer it to a bottle spray.
7. Beer - Humans are not the only ones that like this alcoholic beverage. Snails and slugs love it, too. You can use this as a trap as these creatures will be redirected to wherever you place the beer. Instead of munching on the leaves of your plants, they will focus on the beer trap you made.
What Are The Most Common Kinds Of Destructive Pests You Might Encounter In Your Garden Or Agriculture:
Japanese beetles - The scents of some flowers, fruits, and plants, same goes the pheromones of other Japanese beetles, lure these pests to yours and your neighbor's yard. These insects last up to 3 months. So, just imagine the damage it can cause to your plants.
Locust - Locust are usually mistaken as grasshoppers. They look the same in appearance. These creatures often eat dry plant matter and forage for weak or dead grasshoppers when plant food is scarce. Since nymphs have a larger appetite, they cause more damage than adults.
Corn rootworm - Corn rootworm beetles feed on flowers and vegetables. And though they are found on different varieties of plants, they seem most attracted to light-colored flowers like daisies, roses, dahlias, and others.
True bugs - True bugs or Hemiptera belong to a very large group of insects with around 75,000 species worldwide.
Mormon crickets - Crickets are omnivorous. They have no problem eating either plants or meat. They do not just eat grass, plants, and flowers. Aside from eating other kinds of insects, they also eat their own kind—crickets. These creatures are true destroyers because a huge number of the cricket population is capable of destroying rows of seedlings in a day.
Stink bugs - Stink bugs feed on ornamental plants and flowers. They eat fruits and also attack garden produce like green peppers, tomatoes, and beans. A large population of stink bugs can cause serious damage to crops in gardens.
Colorado potato beetles - Just like other pests or insects, the Colorado potato beetles feed on the leaves and stems of potato plants. These creatures are attracted to excessive moisture, so if you don’t want to be infested by these insects, make sure the gutters near your home are working properly.
Are There Ways To Prevent These Pests & Insects From Invading My Yard & Destroying My Plants?
Certainly! Here are some tips on how we can prevent these itsy bitsy bugs from coming:
Have a healthy and organic Soil - Top-dressing your soil with compost or natural fertilizer is the best way to develop strong and healthy plants.
Dry Foliage - Moist attracts different kinds of insects and bugs and helps develop fungal to your plants which eventually damages it. Practice watering the plants early so foliage will be dry for most of the day.
Avoid having insect habitat - Always keep your garden clean. Clear it from debris and weeds as these serve as breeding places for insects.
Disinfect - When you work with infested plants, clean your tools before moving on to other garden areas. This will reduce the chances of being infected again.
Pest Control Company To Get Rid Of Pests In Your Yard
Contacting a pest control company to help you get rid of pests whether in your yard or inside the household is the best option to take. Allowing them to take care of the issue has so many benefits. Here are the benefits.
1. Safe and effective - The people who work in a pest control service are well-trained thus, they are capable of giving a more effective solution to your pest problem. Whether it’s a problem with household pests or insects that destroys plants, you can surely count on them. These professionals also use pesticides but you’ll have the peace of mind that you and your family’s health will not be put at risk because they’ll use these products accordingly and with utmost care.
2. Saves your time, effort, and money - Infestation develops and builds fast. These creatures can multiply over time and before you know it, you’ll be surprised to know that there are already a lot of them in your place. This is the reason why it’s important to eliminate them the soonest time and not waste time. Trying different DIY methods, products wastes both your time, effort and money. So if you don’t want headaches, better to contact a pest control service than kill these pests yourself.
3. They can help you find the source of the infestation and give you expert advice on how to prevent and eliminate pests - These experts don’t just kill pests that are visible with your eyes. They also locate the source to guarantee that the problem will not persist. Experts will destroy the eggs and nests to avoid pests and insects from multiplying. One good thing about hiring professionals too is that at the end of the pest control service, they will also educate you about the situation and give you tips on preventing infestation from happening again.
Professional Pest Control Company
If you are looking for a trusted local pest control company in Greenville to help you, look no further and choose Go-Forth Pest Control. Go-Forth Pest Control is a family-owned commercial service solutions provider of modern pest control services and techniques, using the latest and most advanced technology in the business, making our service to you more efficient, safer, and more convenient. We have a team of expert professionals who can provide the best pest control services to residents and business establishments throughout North and South Carolina.
We bring in a new and fresh approach to the pest control industry, using family-friendly and pet-friendly methods of extermination that caters to your specific needs. Our expert experience in exterminating pests can make your life pest-free. You may check us on Facebook or Google us to see what our satisfied customers have to say about us.
Go-Forth Pest Control has gained the trust of residents and businesses in Greenville for more than 60 years. For more information just dial 336-841-6111. Our friendly operators are standing by.